Saturday, January 09, 2010

Rockin' In The New Year


I had originally wanted to post this on New Year's Eve but time kind of got away from me and I didn't have it ready. So, I thought that it would make a great addition to the Elvis Birthday Celebration instead! Here is what many consider to be one of the best shows that Elvis ever put on. It's from December 31, 1976. The place was the Pittsburgh Civic Center in Pittsburgh, PA. It was the final show of Elvis' 27th tour. This tour has gone down in history as being probably the best tour he did. It featured such great shows as "A Hot Winter Night In Dallas" and "Burning In Birmingham". I posted the Dallas show in December of 2008 (you can check that out here) Nobody can really know what happened to Elvis in this particular moment of his career, but whatever it was, was strong enough to make him wish to please everyone in the crowd and prove to everybody that he was the truly greatest singer of all time. This particular recording holds a special place in my heart. It is an audience recording and as most of you know, I am not a huge fan of audience recordings as there are so many great sounding sound board recordings from Elvis' shows. This one, though far from a great sounding recording, is special to me because I inherited the album from my father. I remember when my dad came home with this record and I will always remember how great it looked. I always found the art work to be really cool for some reason. It was the first time that I had ever encountered a bootleg recording and my father was very good at explaining what it was. Over the years, I have amassed quite the collection of Elvis concert recordings and I always turn away the audience recordings. This one, however, will be in my collection forever. Here is that classic recording of that classic concert! Here is "Rocking With Elvis New Year's Eve". Enjoy!

Rocking With Elvis New Year's Eve Part 1
Rocking With Elvis New Year's Eve Part 2

BONUS:
Here is some amateur film footage from that very concert! Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin