Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Halloween-A-Thon 2011: When Michael Comes Slashing Home Again, Hurrah, Hurrah


In 1978, John Carpenter released what many, including myself, feel is the greatest horror film of them all. He took a self-penned screenplay, added virtually no budget and an up and coming actress who happened to be the daughter of two gigantic film stars (including the original slasher chick, Janet Leigh!) and turned it into the greatest horror franchise the world had seen up to that point. Of course I am talking about Halloween. It was great when it first came out and to this day. The sequels don't hold up to the original. There are really only two that matter. The second one as it is the continuation of the first film and the seventh which brought back the original character of Lori Strode played by the pre-Activia Jamie Lee Curtis. The great thing about Halloween H2O (the seventh film in the series) is that it acts as if Halloween 3 through 6 doesn't even exist. (In my mind, they don't).

I was hopeful that the series would end with H2O but unfortunately, the greed train pulled in and another sequel was made followed by a "re-imagination" (I hate that term) of the original by Rob Zombie. I've only seen a tad of that film and I really can't say anything too bad because my good friend and boss, Micky Dolenz was part of it. I can say that it is not the original. There will never be another "Halloween". For today's treat I bring you the soundtracks to Halloween and HalloweenH2O. The music for the original was written by John Carpenter on a little Casio keyboard and is legendary. It's minimalism at its finest! Here is the 20th anniversary edition of that soundtrack that was released in 1998, the same year H20 was released. Enjoy!

Halloween OST

Halloween H2O OST

2 comments:

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've wanted this soundtrack for years! Thank you so much!

Did I say thank you?

Anonymous said...

thank you, julia hayes

Blog Widget by LinkWithin