Friday, September 11, 2009

A Month of Monkees: An Alternate Reality Part 8


Today we finish up the "Alternate Reality" of Monkees' records with a Greatest Hits collection. According to a March 21, 2009 Wikipedia entry, Colgems was slated to release a second Monkees greatest hits LP, but the plans were scuttled when the label folded. Apparently, in 1971, a test-pressing of another Monkees hits LP was planned. Like its predecessor, it contained 14 songs: four of these songs were key album tracks; five songs were issued on both singles and albums; the remaining five selections were previously released only as singles and would have made their album debut on this collection. While no official catalog number was ever assigned, the track listing was in place right from the start. Further documentation reveals that all 14 songs were in true stereo. Since we have been exploring this "Alternate Reality" of the Monkees, I decided that in that "alternate reality" Colgems did release this hits collection. As with the Alternate Reality HEAD Soundtrack, this is one that was put together from concept to cover art by myself. While I wasn't too keen on my cover art for the a.r. HEAD soundtrack, I absolutely love the cover art for this album. Since there was no official catalog number assigned, I just gave it the next number after Changes to "follow" the history.

(Theme From) The Monkees
Porpoise Song (Theme from Head)
Someday Man
Good Clean Fun
Oh My My
What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?
D.W. Washburn
For Pete's Sake
Listen To The Band
It's Nice To Be With You
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
Tear Drop City
Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again
Goin' Down

All songs are in stereo. Also, as a special bonus, in this "alternate reality", Colgems released the album with this exculsive pull out poster!



Please enjoy this last album in the "Alternate Reality" series!

The Monkees Greatest Hits No. 2 (Alternate Reality LP)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin