Thursday, July 07, 2011

Ella On the Radio


I love Ella Fitzgerald. In my opinion, there was no one better. She was amazing. Over the years I have amassed quite a collection of Ella records. There are the standard ones that you can get anywhere but then I have a bunch or really cool ones that are much harder to find. I'm not just talking about bootlegs. I'm talking about recordings that were made way back when she was just starting out with the Chick Webb Orchestra. I have some really great albums from that era and beyond that I've rarely seen even on-line. It's one of those great albums that I am sharing with you today. It's a release from the great "Sandy Hook" label back in the 80s. I have a vary strong affinity for Sandy Hook records for several reasons. One; they were based in my home state of Connecticut and Two; they put out some of the coolest records featuring some amazing radio broadcasts from the golden age of radio. This album is no exception. It's a bunch of radio transcriptions from 1940 of Ella leading the Chick Webb orchestra. When Chick died in 1939, Ella took over the orchestra and continued to front it for many years. She had taken over as the leader when Chick started to become ill so the orchestra knew that it was the right choice. This album is extremely cool and shows Ella doing what she does best. Here is "Ella Swingin': NBC Radio 1940 Big Band Remotes". Enjoy!

Ella Swingin': NBC Radio 1940 Big Band Remotes

1 comment:

Bree Daniels said...

Fabulous. One of the best Ella I've ever heard. THANK YOU!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin