Friday, June 03, 2011

A Singing Couple's Work is Never Done


When I was a kid, my sister was the big Sonny and Cher fan. As I grew older I learned to love Sonny and Cher but most of that was on my own. I remember that my sister owned two Sonny and Cher recordings. She had the Live in Las Vegas album and a cassette that was, to me, the coolest looking tape ever made. It had a sort of a rainbow design on the tape itself. As I got older and got into their music more, I always remembered that tape. In the late 90s I found it in a box of old stuff at my parent's house and gave it a listen. It was pretty beat up and wore out but all of a sudden the memories came flowing back and songs that once permeated my childhood home were back in my head. The tape didn't make it to another play and it wasn't until about three or four years ago that I replaced it with an original vinyl copy of the album. It went up on the shelf and stayed there until about a week or so ago when I placed it on the turntable. The condition of the vinyl was about 1000 times better than that old tape that I found and it was like I was listening to it for the first time. I fell in love with it all over again. And the cover art is pretty darn cool as well. It depicts the couple in their greenhouse surrounded by empty road cases and a few flower pots. Basically, it's a picture of a pop duo who are married and letting us in on the fact that they are so busy entertaining you that they don't even have time to plant anything in their greenhouse. It was a brand new decade (the album was released in 1972) and the addition of a new producer (the legendary Tommy "Snuff" Garrett) and a new label seemed to give the couple a new license to remake their image into a harder edge. I like it. Judge for yourself when you take a listen to "All I Ever Need Is You". Enjoy!

Sonny & Cher - All I Ever Need Is You

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin