Saturday, November 07, 2009

Bolan Boogies Long After Death


Back in high school I had a friend who was convinced that Marc Bolan was going to return to the land of the living somehow, someway. Not like the whole "Elvis is alive" movement but more like a reincarnation. It was at this time that I came across a single by Marc Bolan entitled, "You Scare Me To Death". It had been released posthumously and was featured in an ad campaign for mouthwash in the UK. My friend had never heard this song so I put it onto a cassette and brought it over to her house. When I played it for her, I told her it was a new, up and coming artist who had just released this single. As soon as she put it on her face turned white and she uttered these words: "Holy Shit. He's back. I knew it!" By the time I finished laughing, she knew she had been had. Evil, yes but fun none-the-less. It wasn't long afterwards that I came across a full length album of "new" Bolan recordings entitled, "Love and Death". The recordings were actually made by Marc long before the T. Rex days. The original recordings were simply Marc and an acoustic guitar. For "Love and Death", they took these recordings and added new backing tracks with musicians from the 80s. This was long before the whole "dead people on record with alive people" fad took off. Back then, it was a lot harder to do that type of thing. Especially since they were doing it with low quality tapes of a guy who had some trouble playing in time. The "new" backing band takes that into account and you can actually hear the tempo shift on a few songs. However, it sounds like they are all doing it as one. (in the music business, we call that "chasing the rabbit") The end result is amazing! The production is unreal and the arrangements sound like they were originally intended to sound that way from the start. See for yourself when you take a listen to "Marc Bolan-Love and Death." Enjoy!

Marc Bolan-Love And Death

BONUS:
The original versions of the songs featured on "Love And Death" were actually released in 1972 on an unauthorized album entitled, "Hard on Love". It was quickly pulled from the market. Two years later, Track Record released the proceedings as "Beginning of Doves". Though still unauthorized, it wasn't pulled and has remained a prominent bootleg in the Bolan catalogue. Here it is for you now. Enjoy!

Marc Bolan-Beginning of Doves

2 comments:

Asli Jat said...

Many, many thanks for sharing all this marvelous stuff with us.

I might have said this before, but I just wish you'd get more more comments from people to appreciate all your hard work !

Like you I am a huge Elvis & Marc Bolan fan (ironic that Marc also admired Elvis & died in the same year ...).

Anyway, to repay you in some way I'd love to share some shows I have about Marc, I'm pretty sure you'd like them.

I have only one condition : please give me your feedback !

Please let me know your email address & I'll send you the details.

Asli Jat

Asli Jat said...

Any chance of getting that email address ?

I'd love to share these shows ...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin