Thursday, June 14, 2007

Singles Collection: Celebrity Edition - Episode 6


They finally released the entire first season of "Welcome Back Kotter" on DVD this week. I've been waiting for them to do this for a long time. I always loved this show. I did a 10 year stint at a high school where I worked as a Resource Room Tutor and believe it or not, I used a lot of techniques I learned from this show. Anyway, my copy came in the mail earlier this week and I'll soon have it cued up and ready to watch. In the meantime, I thought that I would post this single released by Gabe Kaplan to cash in on the Kotter craze back in the 70s. The first side is called "Up Your Nose" and is a disco-ish boogie that really makes you think that Gabe should just stick to comedy. Which he does on the flip side, a stand up bit about Bicentennial Minutes called, "Bye-Centennial Minutes". If you weren't around in 1976 I'll explain what a Bicentennial Minute is. Just like the "The More You Know" ads from the late 90s, the Bicentennial Minutes were short little minute commercials that featured celebrities talking about the history of our country over it's past 200 years. If you were around then, the B side of this single gets a laugh. If you weren't, I'd imagine that you won't get it. But I'll let you be the judge of that. Here is Gabe Kaplan's 1977 single, "Up Your Nose" along with it's B-Side, "Bye-Centennial Minutes" and the picture sleeve that it came in. Enjoy!

Gabe Kaplan-Up Your Nose/Bye-Centennial Minutes

1 comment:

Jake said...

Thank you for posting this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin