Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sigmund's Best Friend Sings About Friendship!


If you grew up when I did, then you obviously know about "Sigmund & The Sea Monsters". It was a Sid & Marty Kroft production that starred Johnny Whittaker, Scott Kolden and Billy Barty. The basic premise was that Sigmund (Billy Barty), a friendly (if somewhat cowardly) sea monster runs away from his comically dysfunctional undersea family. He's discovered and befriended by brothers Johnny (Johnny Whitaker) and Scott Stuart (Scott Kolden), who let Sigmund stay in their hideout. The plotlines were very simple and straightforward, usually some variation on the idea of Sigmund doing something silly to arouse attention and the boys working to prevent him from being found by Sigmund's brothers, Blurp (Bill Germaine, Larry Larsen) and Slurp (Fred Spencer, Paul Gale). The brothers also worked feverishly to hide Sigmund from their overbearing housekeeper Zelda (Mary Wickes), elderly neighbor Mrs. Eldels (Margaret Hamilton) and Sheriff Chuck Bevans (Joe Higgins). In Season Two, Rip Taylor joined the cast as a magical 'Sea Genie' named Sheldon who lives inside a sea shell. I loved the show and watched it faithfully. One day while shopping at the East Haven Bradlees (it no longer exists) with my mother, I happened to spy a record by Johnny Whitaker entitled "Friends: Music from Sigmund and The Sea Monsters". I wanted it more than anything and when I asked my mother, she gave me the ol' "next time" line. Well, I knew that it could be gone by the next time we came to the store so I did what any red blooded record collecting young boy would do. I hid it in another section. The next time we went to Bradlees, my mother lived up to her word and let me get the record, which was still in the hiding place that I had left it at. After all the years that followed, I still have that record and it is still in great condition. I present it for you now. Here is Johnny Whitaker with "Friends". Enjoy!

Johnny Whitaker-Friends

3 comments:

Esther said...

Hi, Dartman!

Yet another record that both you and I have! Great minds really do think alike. Keep up the great posts!

Esther at Stax o' Wax
www.stax-o-wax.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's GONE! boo hoo!

Tim Tipton said...

Johnny Whitaker had a good career
run starting with the Russians are
coming, the Russians are coming
& Family Affair.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin